Do you know how to identify the presence of carbon monoxide in your RV? Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur quickly if you aren't aware of the signs that the cabin is filling up with this odorless gas. Below, you will find seven tips to help you identify the problem and prevent carbon monoxide exposure in your RV.
Carbon Monoxide Detector
Installing a carbon monoxide detector is as easy as opening a package and plugging it into an outlet inside the RV. Find a detector that operates by electricity and battery power. You want the detector to alert you if there isn't any power – the back-up battery will make that possible.
Inspect the Exhaust System Regularly
The exhaust system must be inspected and maintained regularly. Not only does the exhaust from the engine need to be inspected, but also be sure that the exhaust from the generator is in good condition as well.
Note: If you hit an obstacle on the road that scraped the underside of your RV, take the time to crawl underneath the RV to inspect the exhaust system immediately. Since the exhaust system is positioned below most of the other elements under the vehicle, it will be the first to be damaged during an undercarriage collision.
Read the Flames
The flames coming from your stove, water heater and furnace can tell you if there is carbon monoxide present in the cabin. If the flames are yellow, there isn't an adequate level of oxygen in the cabin, which can be the result of too much carbon monoxide.
Maintain Gas Appliances Yearly
Any appliances, like the stove, refrigerator, furnace, water heater and generator should be inspected and maintained each year. If these appliances malfunction, the result could be carbon monoxide leaking into the cabin.
Park with Exhaust Clearance
When you back your RV into a site, make sure to leave enough space behind it for the wind to carry the gasses away from the RV. If you back into high weeds, the exhaust could sit idle outside of the RV and leak inside.
Use the Roof Vents
When you are using the generator, leave the roof vent opened slightly. Any fumes that do enter the cabin can quickly ventilate right out of the roof vent.
If you notice any signs of carbon monoxide in the cabin of your RV or camper, turn off the generator, engine and any appliances you have running, open the windows and doors and exit it immediately. Contact your local RV professional for assistance in determining the cause and making the necessary repairs.